THE GREAT ELEPHANT
He lives in the central street of the Nefs. When the majestic animal goes out for its walk, it is like architecture in motion departing a steel cathedral. The 49 passengers on board embark on an amazing journey on the Ile de Nantes. Each time the pachyderm goes out, it is a unique spectacle for everyone to enjoy.
From the inside, the passengers will be able to see the moving gears that power the legs. The machinist tells stories about the elephant and makes it trumpet. On the back of the Elephant, it’s like being on the 4th floor of a moving house, with a breathtaking view over the site of the former shipyards. In this time-travelling carriage, the passengers can voyage to the imaginary world of Jules Verne in the city where he was born.
The Great Elephant makes the connection between the Marine Worlds Carousel and the Warehouses where the workshop and the Machine Gallery, centre of the artistic proposal of the Machines de l’île, are located.
- 12 m high, 8 m wide and 21 m long
- 48,4 tons of steel
- Wood: American Tulip
- Metal structure lubricated with 2,000 litres of hydraulic oil
- 450 HP motor
- An indoor lounge with French doors and balconies
- A terrace accessible via stairways
- 3 different routes: approximately 30 minutes
- Speed 1 to 3 km/h
- Set in motion using 60 cylinders, of which 44 are hydraulic, 6 are pneumatic and 10 are gas.
Playpen stroller and baby carrier are available
Except guide dogs
1 place per ride, within the limits of the available places
The exploitation of the Great Elephant is subject to weather conditions (heavy rains and violent winds).